My research focuses on the interplay between cultural contexts and psychological processes. To understand dynamic ways in which culture and psychological processes mutually shape and sustain each other, the specific aims of my research programs are threefold: (i) to illuminate cultural differences in emotion (pro-positive/contra-negative vs. balanced systems of emotions) and cognition (i.e., holistic/dialectical vs. analytic/linear) and their health implications, (ii) to examine multilevel influences of culture and social hierarchy on psychological processes, and (iii) to elucidate effects of inter-cultural interactions (e.g., acculturation processes).
- Levine, C. S., Miyamoto, Y., Markus, H. R., Park, J., Kitayama, S., Kawakami, N., Karasawa, M., Boylan, J. M., Coe, C. L., Love, G. D., & Ryff, C. D. (2016). Culture and healthy eating: The role of independence and interdependence in the United States and Japan. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 42, 1335-1348.
- Ma, X., Tamir, M., & Miyamoto, Y. (in press). Socio-cultural instrumental approach to emotion regulation: Culture and the regulation of positive emotions. Emotion.
- Miyamoto, Y. (2013). Culture and analytic versus holistic cognition: Toward multilevel analyses of cultural influences. Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 47, 131-188.
- Miyamoto, Y., Boylan, J. M., Coe, C. L., Curhan, K., Levine, C. S., Markus, H. R., Park, J., Kitayama, S., Kawakami, N., Karasawa, M., Love, G. D., & Ryff, C. (2013). Negative emotions predict elevated interleukin-6 in the United States but not in Japan. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 34, 79-85.
- Miyamoto, Y., & Ji, L.J. (2011). Power fosters context-independent, analytic cognition. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 37, 1449-1458.
- Miyamoto, Y., Knoepfler, C., Ishii, K., & Ji, L. J. (2013). Cultural differences in attention to goal vs. process of action. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 39, 707-719.
- Miyamoto, Y., & Ma, X. (2011). Dampening or savoring positive emotions: A dialectical cultural script guides emotion regulation. Emotion, 11, 1346-1357.
- Miyamoto, Y., Ma, X., & Petermann, A. G. (2014). Cultural differences in hedonic emotion regulation after a negative event. Emotion, 14, 804-815.
- Miyamoto, Y., Ma, X., & Wilken, B. (2017). Cultural variation in pro-positive versus balanced systems of emotions. Current Opinion in Behavioral Sciences, 15, 27-32.
- Miyamoto, Y., & Ryff, C. (2011). Cultural differences in the dialectical and non-dialectical emotional styles and their implications for health. Cognition and Emotion, 25, 22-30.
- Miyamoto, Y., Uchida, Y., & Ellsworth, P. C. (2010). Culture and mixed emotions: Co-occurrence of positive and negative emotions in Japan and the United States. Emotion, 10, 404-415.
- Miyamoto, Y., & Wilken, B. (2010). Culturally contingent situated cognition: Influencing others fosters analytic perception in the U.S. but not in Japan. Psychological Science, 21, 1616-1622.
- Rychlowska, M., Miyamoto, Y., Matsumoto, D., Hess, U., Gilboa-Schechtman, E., Kamble, S., Muluk, H., Masuda, T., & Niedenthal, P. (2015). Heterogeneity of long-history migration explains cultural differences in reports of emotional expressivity and the functions of smiles. Proceeding of National Academy of Science, 112, E2429-E2436.
- Schechter, O., Durik, A. M., Miyamoto, Y., & Harackiewicz, J. M. (2011). The role of utility value in achievement behavior: The importance of culture. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 37, 303-317.
- Yoo, J., Miyamoto, Y., Rigotti, A., & Ryff, C. D. (in press). Linking positive affect to blood lipids: A cultural perspective. Psychological Science.
- Yoo, J., Miyamoto, Y., & Ryff, C. D. (2016). Positive affect, social connectedness, and healthy biomarkers in Japan and the US. Emotion, 16(8), 1137-1146.
Department of Psychology
University of Wisconsin, Madison
1202 West Johnson Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53706
- Phone: (608) 890-1035